Economic Policy,Planning and Statistics Division
The core role of the Economic Policy, Planning & Statistics Division is to provide quality policy advice and secretariat support to the Permanent Secretary for Fisheries & Director Fisheries. The primary functions of the division cover , policy and plans formulation & assessment/analysis, monitoring & evaluation, economic and financial assessments, sector statistics collation and analysis, stakeholder partnerships & coordination and Information technology services.
The strategic activities include;
- Formulation and review of both current and proposed economic policies for the development and management of the fisheries sector
- Formulation, review and assessment of strategic and annual plans and programmes for the Ministry and sector
- Monitoring and evaluation of implementation of Ministry and sector national initiatives, plans, policies, programmes, capital and donor projects,
- The collation, compilation and analysis of key fisheries sector statistics and indicators and coordinate and provide secretariat support for the Min of Fisheries Statistics Committee.
- Technical economic assessments and financial analyses of existing or proposed policy, plan, programme, or technical infrastructure interventions,
- Conduct economic modelling, performance investigations/surveys of existing fisheries commodities, industry segments, infrastructure, investments and associated/related business establishments and industries to evaluate impact of existing policy, plans or prorgammes on the targeted stakeholders.
- Facilitate and strengthen strategic alliances through coordinating fisheries industry stakeholder consultations such as National Council meetings, Commodity taskforces, Inter- Agency Committee’s.
- Facilitate and provide effective trade and investment advise and guidelines covering all fisheries products; as well as international trade laws and standards with the aim to promote best trade practices and compliance.
- Exploring trade & market opportunities through market research and trade intelligence to facilitate private sector marketing prospects of fisheries commodities.
- Facilitation & Coordination of Capital Projects which includes the identification and preparation of the Ministry’s Public Sector Investment Programme proposals & the preparation of the ministry’s annual operational and capital budget submission in consultation with the relevant Principal Fisheries Officers and Divisional Heads.
- Facilitate Capital Project Committee Meetings, MFF Quarterly Reviews & ACP Review & Workshops.
- IT and communications support(hardware and software) services for all divisions of the Ministry